Depression is a very frequent and serious disease that is important to recognize and to face.
It is an illness which will most of the time, challenge a person to do even the simplest routine daily activities. Depression causes harsh symptoms that will affect everything that you do, starting with how you feel, think and handle the simplest activities. To be diagnosed with this disease, these symptoms must be present for a few weeks.
How to know that you’re depressed?
Everybody feels sad or „empty“ during their life. Different events may make you feel this way, such as death or loss of someone you love, financial problems etc. But if a person feels sad every single day for two weeks or more, for no specific reason, it means that the one is sick. Depression can also be manifested if a person is indifferent, apathetic, too anxious , irritated and tired. Of course, not every depressed person experiences the same symptoms. You may experience only one of them, or you can experience altogether. The symptoms differ depending on the stage of the illness, the period of lasting and on the individual and his or her own illness.
What age can you get sick at?
People become depressed at any age of their lives, but it usually begins in the teenage years and the early adulthood. Today it is found as occurring in both kids and adolescents. Many chronic mood disorders in adults start as a very high level of anxiety in kids. In midlife and older adults, depression can co-occur with other illnesses, such as heart diseases, diabetes or cancer and these conditions become a lot worse when the depression is present.
How to treat depression?
Medicines that treat this very severe disease are antidepressants. They may actually help improve the way the brain control mood. People usually need to try few different antidepressants medicines before they find the one that affects the best on their condition. These medicines take some time, usually 2 to 4 weeks, to work and it is very important to give them a chance before reaching a conclusion about their effectiveness. Also, it is very important not to stop taking them without your doctor if you start feeling better. An another depression treating method is psychotherapy (talk therapy) ,that will help you for sure.
5 facts about depression
1. About 20 million people in the USA suffer from depression every year and this number is on slow rise.
2. 1 in 4 young adults suffers from depression before age 24. This is mainly due to school and lack of job oportunities.
3. Women are much more found depressed than men. Women think more about everyday problems while men are unaware of many negative things that happen around them.
4. Depression affects people regardless of age, location or social position. Depression is not a physical illness, it is purely mental problem.
5. Many artists experienced depression, including Ludwig van Beethoven, Mark Twain, Vincent van Gogh, Ernest Hemmingway and Sylvia Plath.